Although not always an inter-scholastic sport, tennis was popular at Brunswick from its earliest days. In 1916 twelve students signed a petition addressed to the Board of Trustees requesting that two tennis courts be built on campus. It took 43 years for Brunswick to build those courts on the Maher Avenue campus.
From 1959 to the present the tennis team competed in Fairfield and Westchester counties and starting in the 1980’s across all of New England. By the early 1970’s the tennis program expanded down to the Middle School too. The Fairchester League was formed in 1972 and Brunswick has been League Champions 21 times, and in second place 5 times, in those 33 years.
The two courts were hardly adequate and Brunswick played at local clubs as well as on town courts. With the opening of the King Street campus, new tennis courts were built in 2001. The Richman tennis center features 7 courts and plenty of space for spectators.
During most of these years there were two head coaches: John Barrow (1978-85) and Jim Stephens (1986-2005). Under John Barrows the tennis team compiled a record of 54-12 and under Jim Stephens 195-52-2. Brunswick dominated the Fairchester League during this time and developed outstanding players like Bill Featherstone, James Bragg, the Hartch brothers, John Winter, Christian Nagler, Brett Stephens, George Turner, Charles Drimmal, the Brosens brothers, Zach Hascoe and James Francis. By 2000 the quality of play in the Fairchester League had reached a very high level and Brunswick found success regularly outside the FAA during the regular season and in winning the New England Championships. This in turn led to a steady stream of players being recruited to play college tennis.
Brunswick School • Greenwich, CT
Upper School 100 Maher Avenue • Lower & Middle Schools 1252 King Street • Pre School 116 Maple Avenue
Main phone: 203.625.5800 • Alumni phone: 800.546.9425